Friday, January 3, 2020

Happy New Year from CosmicSparky and the Loose Threads of 2019



It's a brand new day, friends. Well technically it's always a new day but I'm trying to be poetic here. We are taking our first steps into a new decade. Maybe we'll get a new musical genre, perhaps curry will become the go-to food item, maybe folks will stop dressing like fucking morons! A guy can hope right? Before marching boldly into this new era, which admittedly my first few days have been pretty spiffy, I thought it best to take care of loose ends. Let's look back at dangling threads and unfinished topics along with a little of the best bits of last year and what I'm hopeful for in this one.

One should always pause around this time to think back on what they've been doing. Obviously the key accomplishment of late, one that continues into the new year, is my education. Currently it looks like I'll be ringing in next Christmas with a better degree and a moderate amount of debt but I think it's gonna be worth it despite all the endless papers and assignments needed to get there. It's important to note this shouldn't change my online presence all that much, it might even increase it as I'll be glued to word processors that much more often. Now seems like a good time to invest in eye drops.

Outside of that I got massive amount of excellent slacking done throughout 2019. I actually keep lists of every book read, game played, etc and you'd best believe some of the numbers for the past twelve months are staggering. The usual range for new to me movies viewed in one year is anywhere from 120-170. 2019 ended up with over 220, there's more than twenty video games from different eras, plenty of television, only reading went to the curb since homework largely took the fun out of it. I don't imagine repeating these numbers with a full 12 months of courses to go. I'll admit it sounds kinda nice to maybe have a break from being this lazy as it was starting to get a little stale. On the plus side those deep dives into pulp culture have only provided more potential topics for this year.

Not everything was quite so upbeat however. This household lost two dogs in less than two months. Both were excellent furry friends whom I still find myself missing despite some of their less desirable habits. My finances have been... strained to say the least. Had to spend a month contending with a cats ear-infection. And then there's the matter of my irritated eyeball, which from seems to stem from sinus inflammation causing extra pressure. As challenging as each of these issues were there was still enough strokes of good luck along with some quality experiences to help keep life bright and interesting. No doubt it was a tough year on several fronts but I'm primed to keep moving and make this new decade really count.

Much like reminiscence, it's usually customary to go over the annual haul of Christmas presents though not in the spirit of showing off. No it's far more preferable to share in whatever weirdness or surprises came to light during the traditional gift-giving routine. What stuck out as bizarre this time is that the family was supposed to be on a fairly tight price-restriction which everyone flat-out ignored. Add to that a very festive secret Santa along with some store credit usage during an after xmas sale, and damn did I ever get spoiled. Unsure if I've got a photo featuring the entire stash but trust me there's enough to make me feel guilty.

As for the most surprising gifts, and those that may provide some entertainment for you all down the line, well there are three tapes from secret Santa to begin with. Santa knew my love for VHS oddities and managed to send a few along, one of which is totally unmarked, Ringu style. Expect something on those in the coming month or so. My brother surprised me with a Funko Pop of The Creeper from Jeepers Creepers. Not only did I not know about this lil guy but I initially thought it must be a great custom job since I couldn't imagine the company taking on such a controversial subject (and turns out some folks threw a fit over it). Haven't had anywhere near the time to fiddle with even half of the haul which means I'm set with survival gear for the long dark of January.

As always happens during the holidays I've fallen way behind with the Super Sentai reviews with the catch-up being next on the blog charter. Beyond that I'd hoped to start coverage of past shows in the form of best episode countdowns, or individual articles for stellar episodes from otherwise lousy series, which is the only way to talk about shows like Ohranger. There's an idea forming for how the review format can improve though that won't make itself known until the next show begins. Speaking of which the next Sentai is looking pretty wild and has some interesting talent behind it. Best of all after enduring a total sausage fest with Ryusoulger the franchise is bringing back a proper two-lady approach. As this will be the first true season of the Reiwa era let's hope for something big.

Oh the star wars book club, you were a fun if infrequent feature on the site. Let's face it though from both a financial and time standpoint I simply couldn't keep up with all the SW novels floating around. Even with that failure to keep up I still intended to bring in one more more installments before calling it mostly quits. Which is where Rebel Rising comes in. I read it, I planed to review it, but nothing ever came of it. That's partially my fault for finishing it right in the midst of Halloween coverage but we can also blame the overall lacking quality of the book itself. Many folks have accused the current SW novels of playing it safe and doing very little, a complaint that is both somewhat true and a bit misleading. While not a symptom of all the new novels, inactivity is the hallmark of bad SW books which is sadly where this one belongs. What makes it difficult is that all the technical merits of a decent novel are here, the prose is solid, pacing isn't all that bad, only nothing of actual importance happens. It's simply the early years of Jyn Erso. She's brought up by Saw, ends up separated from him, finds love, loses love, you can guess most of it as you go along all the way to the end. Sure it provides a little more insight into her character. Just not enough to warrant reading a full novel.
The garage can be scary this time of year.

While books fell by the wayside I still largely enjoyed the other Star Wars content this year. The Mandalorian was good fun that was surprisingly secretive even after the season wrap. I found The Rise of Skywalker mostly successful from a thematic viewpoint even though the storytelling was more than a little sloppy. Most of all I'm just excited to see where the franchise can go from here now that the mysteries of this trilogy are largely dealt with allowing creators to go wherever they want from here on.

Conclusions and evolution were the defining factors of a lot of entertainment in 2019. Whether it was Endgame clearing a path for whatever comes in the next phases of Marvel films, countless shows closing up shop, even Supernatural is in it's final run. Hell, the year kicked off with Glass, a trilogy wrap-up nobody saw coming even a few years ago. One of these conclusions provided hours of twisted pleasure as I watched folks get pissed at Game of Thrones. Yes for as much as I like to aim towards positive fun on here, even I have a major weakness for schadenfreude. I'd disliked the series early-on which made for too much fun when family members were shouting at the television on a weekly basis. Plus I had the joy of correctly guessing who'd be on the throne by simply pointing at the person who was already sitting down, though my theory of how they'd get there didn't pan out.

It's a tough year to pick favorites since I'm still very far behind on many fronts. Let's point out a few things that have at least stayed with me. In movies there's Glass (sorry if you hate, but you;re wrong), Serenity (ditto), Avengers : Endgame, Missing Link, and I'm sure some others but I'll know more once I complete the usual catch-up during these early months. Games wise I dunno, just finally got Ni-No-Kuni Remastered and Judgment and have barely touched em. Honestly I think my biggest gaming memories from the year stem from the retro titles I played, even the lowly ones like Resident Evil: Survivor. When it comes to music it's all goodness from the past, namely the discovery of Loudness. That one dollar record has launched a love affair with Japanese hair metal.

Video Games look primed to take over much more time in 2020 started with a tidal wave of Yakuza games in both the remastered collection featuring 3-5 and the release of 7. Then there are new releases for all my favorite RPG series with Final Fantasy VII Remake, Tales of Arise, and Ys IX: Monstrum Nox. Then there's all the stuff I still want to catch-up with like Kingdom Hearts III, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, Ace Combat 7, Bloodstained, you get the picture. Basically it's a race to see what gives out first, the controller or my thumbs. Movie & TV wise I'm looking forward to many of the usual suspects such as all the new Marvel offerings, Star Wars, then there are a smattering of items like the third Conjuring, that new Underwater flick hails from one of my favorite sub-genres, and I'm very interested in seeing both Halloween Kills and the assured strangeness of Chris Rock's Saw reboot. Mostly I just want to ride this year at a nice casual pace and see what new items might sneak into the pop-cultural landscape.

So I've been at this CosmicSparky gig for over six years now and honestly I wouldn't change a thing. It may not be a huge success but there's comfort in knowing there are folks out there soaking up musings about breakfast cereal, old VHS tapes, and international superheroes. There's also the pride of maintaining one more spot on the internet that exists for fun, rather than ramming negativity, true fan pieces, and editorials that fail to understand their own topics down the collective throat of humanity. Next year I really want to broaden that reach a bit and bring this sort of content to a wider audience. Heck I haven't written for another platform since a certain horror site started tinkering with my opinion pieces last spring. So once again I thank every reader, be they silent or talkative, for making this little speck of the net one of their points of interest. I'll do my best to keep you entertained for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment