Tuesday, January 28, 2020

CosmicSparky Snack Report: January 2020



The dawning of a new year is meant to signify change and growth which is a notion food companies take quite liberally in regards to our waistlines. Very much like last January the stores are being flooded with a bevy of new snacks, drinks, and cereals intended to help us ward off the winter doldrums. The downside is that seasonal depression is often replaced by food fans irritation at not being able to find the newest delicacies though I’m happy to report this current crop is a good deal easier to track down. As a matter of fact I'm having such an easy tie tracking these goodies down that there's actually a bit too much for one post. Guess that means there's no time to dawdle so on with the snacks!

Jolly Rancher Cereal

Let’s just go ahead and get the extra weird item outta the way first. Candy based breakfast cereals are a tough nut to crack. Most I’ve encountered, like Sour Patch Kids, simply aren’t good enough to serve as more than a slight diversion. Even so; when giving the choice between Jolly Rancher and Hershey Kisses cereal I had to go with the sheer novelty of something based on fruity hard candy

Right off the bat this doesn't totally smell like its namesake, if anything the scent is much cleaner. Sniffing provides a pleasant sensation at least with the combo of fruit and that bit of tanginess the brand is known for. As for the eating experience... imagine if Crunch Berries and Trix were the victims of some sort of twisted breeding experiment. I really think these would be in that same wheelhouse if not for the final touch. They’ve been smushed down to a point that makes them extra dense and almost a little chewy. To finish it off they are given some sort of coating that provides the same sticky, never quite dry sensation of a true jolly rancher. The flavor is very odd, almost sour yet still sweet enough to tempt you into another bite. The eating experience is a real brain-twister as everything is both boringly familiar and at the same time refreshingly different.

This is a tough call for sure. I can imagine a good number of people hating this cereal for the bizarre texture and uneven flavor. At the same time I can't help but applaud it for doing the impossible and successfully converting Jolly Rancher into a breakfast food. At the very least I'll enjoy eating a few bowls though I don't I have the strength to finish this family sized box. Gonna score this around 2.5 out of 5.

Mystery Flavor Galactic Gushers

Jumping on the mystery flavor bandwagon usually reserved for soda and Oreo cookies Gushers has actually churned out something new. What a refreshing surprise for someone who rarely gets a chance to return to this brand. Obviously we can skip most of the formalities like scent as I'm sure you're all accustomed to the ways of Gushers (or is this when I discover my audience is comprised of sheltered vegans?).

So there are three flavors on tap with only one being a mystery. First up is apple which very much fits the mold of classic green apple candy taste. Berry is likewise very strong and sweet. So what about the mystery flavor? Well I have some suspicions but whatever it turns out to be the flavor has a certain dankness to it much like darker fruits such as Cranberry or Pomegranate. I can't quite put my finger on it but whatever it is the whole trio makes for a very strong assortment of tastes. Plus the packaging is pretty spiffy. However I must demote points for having at least one gushless piece in each baggy so far. Think I'll give these a 3 out of 5 since they would benefit from more flavors.

Cheetos Cheddar Popcorn

Enough talk of candy let’s talk about something salty like Cheetos revised plan to invade the popcorn market. I say revised as Chester's Cheddar Popcorn has been around for ages. Still; I'm glad to see the company branching out as they've fallen way behind other crunchy cheese snacks with the likes of CK, Better Made, and Hawkins towering over Chester Cheetah As one would figure this new variety is just straight-up popcorn coated with Cheeto powder and… my god… I sorta love it.

Now don’t go thinking this is a total slam-dunk. The popcorn itself is a few steps below higher-grade brands like Indiana Popcorn and I've seen some people online complaining about a lack of powder, which is odd as my bag was crazy cheesy. That overdose of orange powder combined with the overall trashy mouth-feel made for that rare event when a technically new product gives a blast of nostalgia. Suddenly I was a fat ten-year-old watching Monstervision in my Pepsi fold out chair. Another sudden development was finding myself two-thirds of the way through this bag. Definitely not the most original product and not something that will wow a ton of folks but I enjoyed the hell out of it. When rating it for everyone though, let's go with 3.5 out of 5.

Hostess Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes

Valentine's Day is on the way. Along with the usual questions of why none of us have a date (cause I never ask anyone) comes a parade of fatty cakes to sooth our wounded egos. To that end Hostess has released new Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes, raspberries are a recurring element to this years Valentine's snack crop by the way.

Getting one thing out of the way these have the same glob of chemicals aspect that characterizes the entire Hostess line. While these are a little cleaner tasting than some of their other products I doubt it's enough for those who simply hate the brand. As for those of us who love our atomic age snack cakes this is a nifty treat.

Beginning with the scent there is a nice hint of raspberry but it's nothing overwhelming, taking a bite offers a nice moist and dank chocolate combined with a smooth fruit flavor. Nothing groundbreaking here just a solid cake that pairs nicely with dark coffee. It's deserving of at least a 3.5, if not a 4 out of 5.

Doritos Cool Ranch (with extra Ranch flavor)

A tiny fad for this years snack releases are extra versions of per-existing goodies. Cheez-Its has three different takes on the subject already but Doritos decided to stick with just one by adding more ranch flavor to classic Cool Ranch chips.

Admittedly I’ve never been the biggest fan of Cool Ranch as it just seems so limp in comparison to the other flavors, all of which bow to the might of Spicy Sweet Chilli. Turns out adding a lot more powder to the mix helps immensely. For those that prefer the lighter edge of this flavor this new style may not sit well, please let me know your thoughts. Plus I've no clue if this is meant to be a permanent development or something short-term. For those of us that prefer our chips to be overbearing this is a saving grace that puts all flavors on more even footing, save for the godly Spicy Sweat Chilli. It's Doritios, it's classic, and frankly I find it to be an improvement so... 4 out of 5.

Fudge Covered Dark Chocolate Oreo

Oreo has a trio of new offerings this month none of which are all that crazy. Only one has had the courage to cross my path thus far and that is the Fudge Covered Dark Chocolate variety. You can probably deduce some of the details about these all on your own as they look and smell like an extra dark Oreo smothered in fudge. Question is whether they're any good. The answer: oh hell yeah! Our package didn't survive the night since no one could resist the allure of these thick, chocolaty abominations. The seize of each cookie is impressive thanks to the shell of fudge and... I'm finding myself craving some right now. I've seen a couple posts throwing shade at these but I think this are good enough to earn a permanent role in the Oreo line-up. At the least I give em 4.5 out of 5.

Eggo Blueberry Waffle Cereal

One of far too many junk foods that escaped my attention in the days before blogging, Eggo cereal has made a return to shelves. The primary maple syrup flavor is the returning champ but instead of reissuing the Cinnamon Toast variant Kellogg's decided to bring out a new blueberry version. As someone with a massive weakness for anything blueberry this was the Eggo cereal to bring home.

During my years of writing about junk food there have been a number of cereal boxes that have gone to waste as I can only hold so much interest in some of the lesser offerings. This wasn't the case at all when it came to Eggo which I scarfed down quite quickly thanks to it essentially being an improved version of Honey Comb. I mean I like Honey Comb but this has a much more satisfying texture and that blueberry flavor is just a delight. The only area where it might come up short is smell as it lacks the lite, comforting scent of HC. I highly recommend trying a box of Eggo Blueberry Waffle Cereal. It's not an absolute top tier cereal but it's close. At the very least it earns a 4 outta 5.

That's enough empty calories for today. I should be back in a day or two with another Sentai review followed by another round of new treats, my pantry is full I tell ya. Keep an eye open for those updates and lemme know what recent foods have gotten your attention latel

No comments:

Post a Comment