Tuesday, July 10, 2018

CosmicSparky's Birthday Haul 2018



I often wonder if a persons birthday has any baring on their taste in seasons. Is it simple coincidence that makes myself and my related summer-borns hate the sun and heat while those born in winter seem to cherish it? Is it some sort of cosmic joke that you naturally dislike a point in the year when you're supposed to be happy? Whatever the answer, the 4th of July came & went altering a digit on all my paperwork.
Let's set the scene for this year. Like a good amount of the U.S. My area was experiencing a nasty heat wave, ensuring that outdoor activities be kept to a minimum. No hanging out by the barbecue & lining up drinks this year, no sir. Other than some brief excursions into the searing heat it was hanging out indoors with a full house as even the cats didn't want to step foot outside. Naturally this curbed most firework activities as well though there were a few people with some nice ones that I was able to watch from the back yard before an armada of mosquito threatened to suck me dry.
Overall it was one of the least active birthdays and independence days I've ever had, to the extent that it didn't even feel quite much like a holiday, instead it was just a very odd Wednesday. Even so, as a very possession obsessed person, most people actually know what to gifts to get me which helps offset the usual dull-drums that come with aging. This was somewhat surprising this year as I figured the multitude of vet and hospital bills from all the springtime insanity would have left people high and dry. Granted you may not wish to read about my birthday haul but bear in mind us old folks like to ramble. Plus none of my other blog topics are anywhere near done. Turns out us old folks are lazy too.

My niece got a classic horror 4-pack though it’s title is a little misleading as only 3 of the films fit into a proper horror classification. Terror of the Tongs (sadly not a killer salad flick) is one of those racist adventure/crime flicks where somebody has to fend off an evil Chinese gang made up almost exclusively of British actors in horrible make-up. These kind of movies frequently sneak into budget horror collections because of studio or actor cred. In this case it’s a Hammer production staring Christopher Lee, pretty much catnip for terror lovers. Granted I’ll most likely enjoy watching Lee do his most dignified racial stereotype but the other movies are the real reason to be excited. Just look at The Mad Magician. I mean it’s Vincent Price as a illusionist on a revenge killing spree.
I received even more classic horror flicks from my parents in the form of a classic sci-fi collection (primarily made-up of monster flicks) and a blu-ray copy of Them! Hadn't seen this bit of giant-ant mayhem since the 90s and it still provides some decent entertainment, even if the ending is a little lacking.

What could pair better with fine horror cinema than some top quality hooch? Despite my enjoyment of spirits I'm not usually much of a tequila fan,. Kirklands Anjeo from Costco on the other hand is some really delicious stuff for a pretty damn good price. Not much to elaborate on with this one. If you've got a Costco membership you should probably buy a few bottles for yourself. It may be the only tequila I've found that's good straight, and it pairs excellently with a viewing of Monster on the Campus.

Yet another Star Wars novel was added to the Summer reading pile, this time in the form of a Solo tie-in titled Most Wanted. I'm well aware that I've fallen behind on book reviews lately but there will be some extra free hours over the next several weeks which should give me a chance at catching up. I've been considering how to approach further entries in the series after the past few have left me underwhelmed. Maybe finishing this current stack of four books will help me decide how best to continue.

Recently my tabletop gaming hobby has been undergoing some change with my primary focus being game design. Part of that has involved an obsession with studying old and oftentimes forgotten collectible card games like On the Edge. My sister was nice enough to grab me the burger box display, seemingly a last ditch effort to get the game in more stores as it offered a little bit of everything with minimal overhead. Clearly this product push didn't pan out as it was the last item released for the game. There’s a fascinating aspect to opening these mid-nineties relics. I think it's because there's still so much potential in these. If you buy an old stand-alone game it's just that, it will never be anything more or less. With a collectible game there's the entire lifespan of the game available in sealed packages that might contain the best or worst of what the system had to offer yet it's often available for dirt cheap. It's like a physical manifestation of untapped potential. This isn't the only beastie I've claimed as I also nabbed a sealed booster box of Wyvern and am watching far too many others for it to be healthy. There's just so many unique concepts in these old games and at such low prices, I intend to plunder them for ideas and a little fun on the side.

Beyond that there are a couple of Funko items, and a nice little two-player card game called Fox in the Forest. Furthermore I got to actually go out and do something a couple days later which made it feel as if I'd had a birthday instead of a weekday with gifts. You'd better believe getting twenty miles away from town to see a Marvel movie and pick up some picture frames makes a world of difference. Now I can bask in the glory of this Bloodsport print by Jeff Delgado. Least you think I was completely selfish on my day out, I also did some shopping for other family birthdays since they're all crammed together like sardines.

And that's the aimless story of my birthday. Hopefully it will usher in a successful year as I go back to college, expand my writing, and attempt to pitch a game design to some willing publisher. Worry not, friends. I'll not let these activities keep me from sharing all sorts of nonsense with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment