Sunday, April 24, 2016

Marvel Collector Corps April Unboxing: Captain America: Civil War


I'm alive! Sure that seems fairly obvious given that this is a new post but keep in mind I survived one of the longest weeks of my life. Started the new second job and endured it's ungodly early morning schedule, visited the doctors office, took care of business at the secretary of state, even had to deal with some cloths shopping. My days were measurable by the pain levels in my poor feet. Hearing the news of Prince's death during work on Thursday pretty much made me think the entire week was the embodiment of suck. Thanks be to Galactus that the mailman was nice enough to deliver my new Marvel Collector Corps package. What a magnificent sight to behold.

Unlike the last two boxes, I actually let this one get spoiled beforehand. Partly this was because there were already a ton of spoilers out on the net before my box even shipped, but mainly it's that it was the day before starting work and I needed a good reminder of why money is such a nice thing to have.

Opening the box we get the customary patch & pin and boy howdy are these nice this time around. Black Panther takes center stage on the pin and looks quite nice. Patch duties are handed over to Crossbones who easily makes for the best one yet. I'm thinking ot doing a small shadow box display for these as I go along since I'm still not the type to actually apply these to any garments or bags.

Another tiny inclusion this month, one that I'm not sure how to feel about is a lanyard. Here's the thing, I'm simply not a lanyard guy. My keys go in my pocket and that's good enough for me. I don't hang em around my neck, arms, or wherever. Nor do I feel the need for a larger bulge in my pants. On the upside, it is a cool item and seems pretty well made. I'm just not quite sure what to do with it.

Turning to clothing we get what is easily my favorite shirt so far. The use of colors and variety of characters make for such a fine piece of clothing. I can attest from my previous box that these shirts fit nicely and hold up quite well under repeated wear. Definitely going to wear this to the theater, no shame whatsoever.

I was a little surprised at Black Panther being the comic this month instead of anything Captain America related. I suppose it works from a long term marketing standpoint. I just expected something different. On the upside this is the best issue I've gotten from MCC so far. The writing is solid, art's very nice, and unlike that sloppy Deadpool comic, I'm actually interested in seeing how this story develops.

Now the best part of every box. It's toy time! We've got an unmasked Iron Man Dorbz figure which ranks a bit low in the rankings for my admittedly small Dorbz collection. That's not to say it's bad so much that when compared to the Horror ones or even fellow Marvel chiropractors like Ghost Rider, this just comes across as a little basic. It's still nicely painted and I love who solid these little guy are built. I'm really not trying to be mean cause I still like the figure, he's just not a standout figure.

Ensuring that this box wins us fans over, Funko threw in a Pop two-pack of Captain America and Iron Man in new action poses. Iron Man is actually one of those new clear base airborne varieties which makes him the main feature over Cap's somewhat basic stance. Seeing as these kinds of double packs usually cost in the upper teens at stores, this is a real treat on top of all of the other goodies.

A new feature this time around is a fact sheet that discuses the development process of every item in the box. On one hand this is neat as you get to see the progression of sketches and concepts to the finished product. What's a little cruel though is that Funko notes some of the other items that were originally supposed to be included. In this case they mention that the box was supposed to have a Sam Wilson Captain America Pop and launch a new product line. I love what I got but I have to ask, what happened to that Pop? What's the new line? It seems weird to sour this newest patch of goodies with hints of what might have been. Hopefully we'll hear something about those items soon.

Once again, Marvel Collector Corps has left me very satisfied. This has proven to be the most continuously solid subscription box I've tried and I'm gonna stick with it for a long time to come. The quality of this service shone through all the more when compared to this month's Loot Crate which put my sister in quite a huff. If anyone out there wants to join, you've got until mid-June to nab the Women of Power box. As a lover of Marvel's Superheroines, I am crazy excited for that one.


That's a wrap for now. I've gotta get back to enjoying my free time before another long work week. I plan to have a couple of new Sentai articles up soon along with a piece for Dread Central. I'll see you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment