Saturday, June 22, 2019

The Great Game-a-Thon Part 1



Much as none of us may want to admit it our hobbies can sometimes get out of control. In the case of yours truly such unchecked overabundance comes in the form of board games. When starting the hobby close to six years ago I quickly sought to obtain all manner of different titles through sales, thrift stores, trades, you name it. The result I that I've often had a backlog of twenty or more titles waiting, some of them years, for a shot at the table. This phenomenon isn't unique as I've seen countless other tabletop fanatics go wild in their efforts to establish a collection only to shoot themselves in the foot when they discover themselves lacking time and storage for everything they've acquired. Who can blame them? Boards games hold a wonderful allure with their combinations of lovely bits & pieces, brain-twisting systems, and the promises of memorable times with friends and family. With this year already being marked by a variety of changes and another birthday on the horizon I decided to launch a campaign to blaze through as many titles on my unplayed list as possible. If you'd all be so kind I'd love to report on this experience and in the process perhaps share a few hints, highlights, and cautions with you.

Hanabi

The first title on our adventure was Hanabi, an award-winning cooperative card game with limited communication. Imagine playing classic Klondike solitaire alongside another person only you can't see your cards, just theirs, then add in a system for sharing limited clues about each-others hands and try to play from one to five in different suits with only a few mistakes allowed.

Despite the great praise this one has received over the years I'd avoided it until finding a thrift copy because I usually disagree with the notion of limiting communication between players. A big part of the reason I got into tabletop gaming was to get back to one-on-one entertainment and all the wonderful table talk. While I'd softened on this approach thanks to another awesome card game called Okey Dokey there was still some hesitation. Luckily Hanabi proved to be quick and compelling enough that the limitations start to fade away leaving a solid and fun puzzle for everyone involved. The experience was very surprising as I truly thought the game wouldn't match my style or be outclassed by another game and end up traded-off or sold. Instead it stands on its own and has earned a comfy spot alongside Okey Dokey.

Kaijudo

Digging into the stash of dead collectible card games I pulled out a stack of starter decks for Kaijudo. There's a whole backstory to this one involving the original Duel Masters and the eventual relaunch but in short this is an anime inspired hyper-streamlined take on the core principles of Magic: the Gathering. It was clearly made with a younger audience in mind and the result are simplifications like a much better mana system and a quick play style that makes the game ramp up and finish quickly.

The single session of play was fairly enjoyable, if not exactly groundbreaking. There were a few laughs and surprises to the extent I'd call it a good title. From what I've read the game changed dramatically later in its life introducing aspects that totally unbalanced the system, unless I ever get my paws on some later boosters that won't be a problem. What's here is a very straightforward ccg which is exactly what I sought it out for. While it wasn't an amazingly fun experience it did provide something unique in that my nephew not only seemed to slightly enjoy it but actually won our bout. Keeping this around for now and might track down some more later on.

Mystery Rummy: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Last year I endured a few games of Phase 10 which inspired me to design a rummy style card game of my own. In an effort to learn as much about that wing of card games I watched hundreds of videos and even hunted down some special titles like this entry in the Mystery Rummy series. Each installment in the series has it's own specialties with this one being a strictly two-player affair where melds can only be played if they match the current personality of the doctor whose card changes due to various circumstances.

While I wouldn't call this a bad game exactly it was stilled affected by much of what bothers me regarding rummy titles. For one there are so many turns where there's absolutely nothing to do, to the point that even my Phase 10 loving relative (who won by the way) found it obnoxious. Rounds take forever to ramp up and even with the slight bit of fun we had it wasn't enough to make me pick this over other, better, card games in my stash. This one's going to find a new home with more love for rummy antics.

Sonar

The original Captain Sonar is supposed to be one of the greatest large group gaming experiences around. For someone like me whose table might top at five with luck that made playing the game a pipe-dream. Finding this trimmed-down version meant for less players at the local Goodwill afforded the opportunity to at least sample what all the fuss is about.

The game is essentially modernized Battleship and makes no bones to hide it. Players sit behind a huge divider and call out movements while their opponent tries to deduce their location on a dry-erase sheet and hunt them down. The key difference is how moving charges a power meter that allows for special actions like silent movement or firing a torpedo.

I had a good time with this one and would like to hold on to it though my opponent didn't seem all that pleased with it. Granted this may have been due to me stomping them out but the fact remains that if I can't get anyone to play this one then it may have to go. Fingers crossed it gets to stay.

Codenames Duet

The first absolute knockout of this marathon. I never bothered with the original Codenames as it, along with so many other word games, reportedly functions best with a large group which, need I remind you, is a luxury I lack. This two-player cooperative variation seemed like a decent option to finally get a good word game into the collection and boy did that gamble ever pay off. Not only did I enjoy my time with the game but so did my co-operative player and even some people who simply watched us in action.

The game provides an excellent back and forth with players trying to come up with one-word hints for multiple words, often without accidentally hinting at the wrong cards. It's a great brain workout and tons of fun.We went through the game a good nine times in one day sometimes winning, occasionally on the very last turn, one time losing on turn one due to a rather careless hint on my part but always having an excellent time.

Smile

Smile came and went with little fanfare when it released a couple years ago though the lovely artwork and general concept were appealing enough for me to nab a clearance copy of the shelves. In essence this is a more thoughtful take on No Thanks! With players using beads in order to avoid taking certain cards while waiting patiently for others. Some cards are positive points others negative but there's always a chance of getting rid of cards with a matching symbol which makes it a worthwhile strategy to grab that negative card in order to lose another one and get some beads in the process.

Smile isn't a showstopper or something to base your whole night around but it is solid fun and more importantly blows No Thanks! Out of the water thanks to better presentation, smart design, and more interesting scoring. This gets to stay in my library by virtue of pushing No Thinks! Out.
These games can get a wee bit suggestive.

Code of Nine

Sometimes you buy a game for the sheer audacity of what it promises to do. Of course it helps when it's also on sale for twelve bucks. That's how I ended up with Code of Nine; a worker-placement, bluffing, deduction game where each player only knows a quarter of what endgame scoring will entail.

Played this one at the game store with friends and a new acquaintance who won by losing the pair of books I knew would lose him ten points. Overall the game felt like something that would improve drastically the more a group plays it. However I don't see it getting that level of attention here which means every play-through would be an awkward dance around the weak rulebook and slightly sloppy production. I really believe some people will love this game, hopefully I can find someone like that to give this copy a home.

Sleuth

Generally I'm not the biggest fan of deduction games. Sure there's the occasionally exception but usually it's better if deduction is a small part of a greater whole rather than the main attraction. That being said I was very eager to try Sleuth due to it hailing from one of my favorite designers, Sid Sackson.

Unfortunately Sid just couldn't work his magic on me this time around. Like so many of his designs Sleuth feels very much like it respects your brain but unlike his other games it fails to respect your time or patience. Players have to manage two separate batches of cards along with a notepad that is poorly equiped to handle the level of detailed notes required. Add to that how the mystery is very abstract, figure out if the face down card is a blue opal cluster for instance, and it just feels cumbersome. For die-hard mystery gamer I'm sure this is awesome but for this group it simply didn't work. Off it goes.

Burger Joint

Almost completely forgot about this one, which should be a hint at how well it went over as my opponent and I didn't even care to finish it. Burger Joint is functional but boy is it ever dull. Players pick cubes, make buildings, get some points, and try not to fall asleep. The whole thing almost feels like a joke about dull euro-games come to life. That's a shame too as some of the designers other titles look pretty fun. This oddity however has to return to the wild.

Focus/Domination

Sid Sackson gets another shot during this marathon with an award-winning abstract strategy game and boy howdy does Focus ever make up for our lackluster experience with Sleuth. I've played stacking style abstracts in the past with titles like Cappuccino yet I was unprepared for how unique this old gem still is. The movement and capturing methods produce so many options that it threatens to make your brain hurt unless you willingly submit to a sort of zen state where all of reality amounts to towers of colored plastic. Absolutely holding on to this though I may have to ditch the old and comically large box.

Mystic Vale: Mana Storm

Among all the unplayed games there are also a few expansions to already established titles such as this little return to the crad-crafting world of Mystic Vale. The additions from this expansion, and those before it help to make the game a bit more lively though I'm not very impressed by the talismans so far. That being said the core gameplay of constructing cards piece by piece is both engauging and speaks to my inner shopaholic.
I still enjoy the game a great deal though my opponent once again noted that it seems to end too quickly for us to enjoy our fancy fully-built cards. I'm somewhat inclined to agree with means keeping this in the collection comes with a note of increasing the point limit a bit.
You want to find which piece exactly?

Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Fantasy Flight Games and I have a troubled relationship. Unlike companies such as Space Cowboys which has yet to let me down Fantasy Flight is akin to flipping a coin. Some of their productions have become all-time favorites while a few others have left me questioning why I bother with this hobby. This only gets worse when you consider their pricing structure as they tend to make expensive games with lots of expansions. As you might imagine the amount of time Imperial Assault has been sitting on the shelf has left me licking my chops with worry. Yes it was purchased on sale with store credit which is the only thing that made me willing to try it, but still, what if it sucked?

Since this one is bigger and meatier than most I decided to tackle it myself by using the companion app for a solo game. In the sense of disclosure I should note that I've tackled a fair share of complex games, I've enjoyed app-assisted games, and have worked through a myriad of messy Fantasy Flight instruction manuals. Going in I thought I had a solid grasp how the game flowed but the app left me feeling absolutely befuddled which was made worse by the constant need to go spelunking in the cavernous box for more components every few turns. Nothing like learning you should have split the cards into twenty different baggies instead of ten. The set-up and take-down times were absurd. Worst of all was that not only was I not having fun, I found myself downright angry at the experience with plenty of questions that required repeat trips into the different rule manuals. Part of the problem is the complexity of the game feels off. For me it's not simple enough to be easy-going dice throwing fun nor is it really deep enough to be fully engrossing.

As it stands I still want to like this game, and given how it has multiple modes of play there's still a chance of finding something to enjoy. Still; that first impression was easily one of the worst in my gaming life with even some trouble-free turns failing to offer excitement. There has to be more than move, check the app, read some cards, roll dice, possibly fail, dig out some more components, and roll more dice... right? I'm planing on giving it another chance but right now it doesn't seem like something that will work with my group at all. If that is indeed the case than it's better to send it off to someone who'll enjoy it.

Let's call part one finished at that. There's still a number of games to go ranging from painfully basic kids card games to massive complex titles. Fingers crossed I can have this pile largely emptied out before my birthday. For those of you waiting for Sentai recaps I swear they are coming soon, likely in time for the site's birthday in just a couple of nights. My allergies are cranked up right now so I opted for this piece as it was already mostly complete. Come back soon and we'll have plenty of silly superhero antics to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment