Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Stadium of Lights and Holiday Snacks




It never ceases to amaze how each iteration of a holiday has a unique style and mood to it. Some are easy, laid back affairs while others take on that perfect mix of atmosphere and emotional depth. Then there’s the one’s that sort of limp along. Those are the ones that require a little extra prodding to keep moving. Sadly that seems to be the mood of this season. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there are still plenty of happy families enjoying their holiday it just seems like a number of people are responding with a confused shrug in regards to seasonal enjoyment. Seeing as the endurance test of school left me with precious little of the season to enjoy, I’ve gone into overdrive in an attempt to make this Christmas count for something.

As soon as I wrapped up the final test of the year it was time to get my butt over to Cooley Law Stadium, home of the Lansing Lugnuts. If you’ve never heard of the team, don’t worry, just know this is a minor league baseball local. The reason for visiting in the middle of December is that Shawhaven Farm, otherwise known for putting on an excellent haunted attraction, joined up with Lansing to put on a holiday light show at the stadium. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to stretch my holly jolly legs as Christmas outings aren’t very common for our family and at only five bucks a person the risk was relatively low.

Upon entering we were greeted by a display of animated singing tress which set the tone for the place. Pretty much everything is timed to music which turned out to be both a pro and con. The nice part is that whenever you reach a fine perch there was likely to be multiple objects dancing to their own tune. The problem is the pockets where those songs meet and how bad some of the choices are. Some trees singing Beach Boys material ain’t so bad until it’s in direct conflict with Let it Go echoing from the diamond. Mercifully there’s enough open air for most of this noise pollution to dissipate providing the opportunity to focus on the lights and people.

And what of the lights themselves? Well they were solid with different displays of regular strands along with themed displays like the twelves days of Christmas, and even a few inflatables to fill in some bald spots. Even so there were a few spots that left a little to be desired. Take what we referred to as the Hanukkah corner for example, it seems positively barren compared to areas like the main walkway.

There were two ways to explore the show, one is of course walking which we did for our first go-around, the other actually made those less interesting spots less problematic. We're talking about a cheap version of the polar express, actually it was a tractor with some carts behind it but this provides a quicker means of bouncing between the separate ends of the stadium. The conductor was absolutely high on holiday bliss, I’d guess schnapps. Far ore likely his mind had snapped from hearing the same line-up of songs a thousand times over. The different sections he could drop us off at included activities like fire pits, a letter writing station for kids to get in touch with Santa, and drink stations for everything from cocoa to the hard stuff.

Approaching the exit I noticed something familiar yet out of place. Remember how Shawhaven is known for their haunted attraction? Part of that is a group of animated singing light monsters which were on display here only with Santa hats to make them seasonally appropriate. This felt like the perfect way to respect the full scope of the holidays. We don’t often think of it amid all the rush of December but our celebration truly began months ago when we were picking up plastic skeletons and severed hands to display around the house. From then on it was a whirlwind of slasher-flicks, turkey, parades, and malfunctioning lights. To see this idea personified in such a tacky fashion really brings home how much the last quarter of the year is connected and why it's always the best time to be alive. Kinda makes me want to dress a pumpkin in a diaper and call it baby new year.

The light show made for a decent way to kickstart my celebratory spirit but I still needed fuel to keep that fire burning so I went off in search of snacks and novelties to nourish my regained jolly outlook. Lucky me our next stop got me off to a good start with Red Bull Winter Edition. I'm not usually big on this brand but this one could grow on me. The flavor is something like if you watered down regular Red Bull and then added melted gummy bears to pep it up. This bizarre combo comes across as both flavorless and incredibly sweet at the same time and imparts a neat wintry feeling in the process. While definitely not for everyone I'd like to pick up a few more cans for those nights that require a festive touch.

Next up was Target which didn't provide everything I was looking for, still can't find Entenmenn's gingerbread crème rolls anywhere. What I did find was still good enough to satisfy my needs. Possibly the crown jewel of this stash are the cinnamon chocolate milano cookies. Oh my god these are just great. I've never encountered a milano this fulfilling. In the candy arena we have Hot Cocoa M&M's which live up to their name as they taste like a decent cup of Swiss Miss with the little marshmallows. I suppose your enjoyment will depend on how much you enjoy basic cocoa flavor. After that is gingerbread Life cereal which returns this year and is still good, just nowhere near as awesome as their pumpkin spice variety. Lastly I brought home some gingerbread coffee from Archer Farms. Still not sure how I feel about this roast. After my first cup I would say no, don't bother. The second day I thought a bit better of it. It seems like one of those flavors that can be good given the right mood but is otherwise sort of underwhelming.

In the days following my release from the toils of school I've been putting up more lights, turning on more holiday viewing, and doing what little Christmas shopping I can on a tight budget. Also managed to outline the garage in lights for the first time ever and finally put up the Christmas village. The family has gotten in the spirit as well by adding LED candles to the eye holes on the Krampus mask. While I still get the impression this is sort of a blah year for many people it's nice to see the little adventures still hold their appeal. If you're feeling a bit down and out you should go in search of something like this light show or failing that scour some different stores in search of some new snacks to fill your belly. The experience might just do wonders for your outlook. Also keep your eyes open as I hope to get in a couple more Christmas posts completed by next Tuesday. Till then be good boys and girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment