Thursday, June 21, 2018

One-Thousand Horror Movies and Counting.



A nifty package arrived in the mail this week. A little stack of blu-rays that finally pushed my horror movie collection into the quadruple digits. Due to being a bit picky I always sort of doubted I'd hit this number but the more likely truth is I would have reached one thousand a long time ago if not for all my other hobbies. Still; it feels good to have hit this milestone.

What’s all the more odd to me is that I still cannot pinpoint the moment when I decided to collect these things, it just sort of happened over time. If we were to trace it to an exact moment then I’d say it was my first ever DVD purchase way back in the late nineties when I picked up Blade from the local Wal-Mart. This is back when the electronics section was a little isolated square in the center of the store. It was somewhere in the early 2000s that I actually made a habit of picking up titles semi-reguarly. Best information I have date wise is that I have been collecting proper since at least 2006. I can signal out that years thanks to a memory of buying House of Wax and a Final Destination two-pack with a promotion for the third. In case this story isn't dated enough, I was shopping at Circuit City and hadn't even been in college for two years.

So what film took the honor of my one-thousandth piece? It’s a little iffy to say since several discs arrived at once. If we were to narrow it down, I'd say the honor goes to Hell Night, a really excellent slasher flick staring Linda Blair.
If you'll indulge me, I'd like to take a bit and look over the towering monolith of terror (actually an IKEA Billy Bookcase) that I've pieced together over these long years. Obviously we can't talk about everything but let's hit on a few key categories.

The Monstervision club:

I’ve written previously about how much TNT’s Monstervision with Joe Bob Brings influenced my love for this genre, so as you’d assume I have a good stash of flicks from those old shows. Some are absolute classics like The Exorcist and Alien. Others are pure oddball stuff like The Wraith or The Monster Club. In some cases these were films I did not enjoy back then but developed a nostalgia for in the following years. Think of something like Saturn 3. I've always known it's crap but turning it on is a surefire way to feel like a kid again. Now if I could only find a mid-nineties Pepsi folding beach chair and a tube TV the experience would be complete.

Milti-feature row:

One puzzling thing I've encountered over the years are collectors opposed to multi-feature releases. Alright, so I sort of understand the urge to have one dedicated slot for each film (it definitely makes organization an easier task) but the sheer value and space-saving of these sets can't be overstated.
More than anything, these sets can bring some real surprises into your life. Way back when I picked up a volume for Motel Hell, yet another Monstervision classic, I was still enough of a horror newbie to have no clue what the accompanying film Deranged was all about. Flipping the disc over provided quite the surprise as the film became the real favorite thanks to it's grim narrative and an outstanding performance by Roberts Blossom. You all might know him better as the creepy old shovel guy from Home Alone.
Of course they can't all be golden. Consider the Mutant Monsters collection that offers up two so bad they're good flicks with The Being and The Dark alongside what may be the worst movie ever, Creatures from the Abyss. Even with those imbalances in quality there's still so much good to be found in these items that at least one will usually find itself among the weekly stack of selections.

Scream factory:

If there's any one company working towards a monopoly for my collecting dollar, it's Scream Factory. If anything they actually release too much stuff, causing budget-minded folks like yours truly to occasionally miss out. That's an easy cross to bear when dealing with a company that has given us kick-ass deluxe editions of Lifeforce, and the Halloween series, right down to unappreciated fare like The Ambulance and Blacula. There are so many outstanding titles from this one company that I could, and very well might, create a countdown of their best. Hearing new announcements is always thrilling as you never know what bit of genre history they'll unearth. They're the first line of great horror and the ones I call on for bringing back lost classics. Speaking of which, can you guys please release Full Circle AKA The Haunting of Julia? It's so damn good. While you're at it I'd also like The Wraith, Split-Second, and.. I'd better stop myself.

Vincent Price:

Even with such a grand appreciation for all the classic horror stars from Karloff to Cushing, none have ever toppled my early love for Vincent Price. Maybe it was the voice, the subtle humor, or just all that class. Whatever the cause, Price captured my imagination early on with films like The Great Mouse Detective, Edward Scissorhands, and of course House on Haunted Hill.
As you can imagine, there is a massive and still growing selection of Price films throughout the collection. Some of em are single releases, others a trapped on those 50-movie public domain sets, and then there are those beautiful Scream Factory box sets. When times are tough, a good Price flick is just what the doctor ordered.

Rarities:

There are always a few items that you cherish not so much due to their quality or nostalgia, but for the opportunity to show off. Of course being a lower-income fan keeps me from getting those extra nifty editions that come with toys, statues, or jumbo boxes. What I can get however are those low-print oddities and old out-of-print goodies. Consider a release like Time Walker, a tremendously goofy alien mummy affair with a print run of just a thousand copies. Remember my piece about The Entity from a few months back? What was once a $12 purchase now ranges from the mid twenties to fifties. You guys should really pick it up before it goes any higher. Ya see those Vincent Price collections? Volume one goes for hundreds now. Now that I think of it, should probably put bars on the windows.

Unknown greatness:

Possibly my favorite element of any collection are those titles that aren't universally beloved, but are little hidden gems you hold close to your heart. Round here there are movies like the hillbillies abduct an alien thriller, Altered. Kevin Costner deals with a kid going through the worst kind of Puberty in The New Daughter. From Blue Sunshine to Deadly Blessing, and often forgotten thrillers like The Return. Every collection thrives on these kinds of hidden gems mainly because they provide a unique way of bonding with people. It's one thing to show someone your movie selection and discuss titles that are pretty much universally adored. It's a whole different thing to share something they might have overlooked. That's why I'm always more eager to talk about something like Sonny Boy than say Dawn of the Dead. There's a thrill to finding and sharing under appreciated films, especially one when someone shares one in return.

Thanks for indulging my trip down consumerist memory lane. It's rare for me to have someone new to the house that I can showcase this monument too. It may be an unpopular stance but I actually take great pleasure in what I own. Not just for my sake but the ability to share those experiences with others. Looking over this treasure trove of cinema never fails to make me feel good. Knowing that it's reached quadruple digits and only continues to grow makes it feel like an achievement.

What about your collections? Any of you have a massive stash of records? Maybe one of you keeps like 800 video games in their closet. I always love to see a good collection, even if it's something I don't care about. So long as you love it and share that enthusiasm with others. Gotta take some photos for this post now and work on some other posts. We've got a lot of stuff coming over the next few weeks from a new subscription box, Sentai recaps, and Star Wars novels. Plus I just remembered it's nearly the site's birthday again. Any suggestions for ways to celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment