Friday, April 13, 2018

Friday the 13th NES



Being someone who loves both horror and video games you'd be forgiven for assuming I like horror games. Sadly that's not often the case. Over the years horror gaming has become dominated by survival titles or multiplayer-shooters, two genres that hold little interest for me. Of course there are always some exceptions such as Dino Crisis or Silent Hill 2 in the survival camp, got nothing for multiplayer. Still I miss the days when a horror-themed game could be anything from an adventure like Castlevania, brawlers such as Night Slashers, or action like Zombies Ate my Neighbors. My recent dive into retro-gaming has brought a lot of these titles back to me but there's one game I never played as a wee one. One that speaks to a very special fandom of mine. Won't you join me in stepping back in time and finally attempting Friday the 13th for the NES?

Published in 1989 by infamous garbage-factory LJN, Friday the 13th has a reputation as one of the worst NES games ever. The main reasons listed are pretty common for the time; stuff like unbalanced difficulty, vague goals, and head-scratch worthy navigation. Other than a brief sample many years ago, I've basically never played the game. As such a big fan of the franchise that simply won't do. But I'm no dummy, I know better than to just dive into this sort of game without first doing some homework.

Turns out the past few years have offered a slight change of opinion towards the game as time has revealed a layer of depth that isn't immediately visible when just futzing around. This begins to make sense when you take into account that the game was developed by Atlus, the company responsible for the massive and complex Shin Megami Tensei franchise. So much has been learned about this game over the years that players who took months if not years to complete it as children now know tricks that make it beatable within a few minutes.

So how does the game actually play? you're wandering around Camp Crystal Lake as one of six different counselors with very different stats. The majority of the time this is done in standard side-scrolling fashion as you face off against zombies, birds, bats, and wolves. Once in a while you'll be alerted that Jason is attacking a cabin and is about to kill off the campers inside. This is one of the two ways to lose the game, either all your counselors die or all the campers do. There's already a chance of encountering the big J out on the trails but he's far more dangerous in close-quarters where you have to face him punch-out style.
You begin with rocks as your one and only weapon and much has been made of how terrible these are. Not only do they deal a pathetic amount of damage but the throwing arc is so jacked that it often soars over your enemies. Better items can be found by jumping or completing certain tasks with each handling quite differently. The knife flies straight but isn't very strong, the axe is a stronger straight-shooter, the torch has a small arc and can do some major damage to Jason, and the pitchfork will go through multiple enemies in a single shot.
The goal of the game is actually very basic, defeat Jason three times over the course of three days. Going about this on the other hand is far more complicated. First there's the matter of getting and keeping a better weapon since even the knife hardly makes a dent in our favorite slasher. Then there's learning the lay of the land and Jason's patterns as he goes in different directions depending on what part of camp he's in. Beyond that there are side-quests such as hunting down the shrine of Pamela Voorhees and fighting her possessed floating head. Defeating the old dame nabs you her sweater which offers extra protection.

All of that was stuff I learned before even turning the game on so I figured I'd have a chance at making some progress. I may not be some professional-player but I've got enough skills to finish games like Ikaruga. I picked one of the better councilors, Crissy and set out on my journey only to get my ass handed to me. Then I went again with Mark, and right out the gate Jason was attacking a cabin across the camp from me. The game won't give you a second of peace. If Jason isn't attacking you on the road then he's cleaving through a cabin full of campers. In the process of my repeated defeats I realized I had no clue how to perform some of the basic actions such as the dodge when fighting in cabins or how to switch between characters. Marking those down as topics to look up later I then went searching for a guide on getting the torch.
The video-guide had a fairly simple route to obtaining the holy fire required to put Jay in his place. The first few steps went off without a hitch. At one point I was supposed to get a key in the woods only no items were appearing. Adding to the frustration was the “beep beep' of the alarm informing me that Jason was currently tearing ten-year-olds in half down by the lake. This wasn't working which means it was back to the internet.
Perusing different guides and FAQs I found another bizarre little detail. Among the different stats like speed and jump-height each character must kill a certain number of enemies in order to make items appear. Mark has to take out 4 baddies in order to get some goodies whereas some of the far worse characters only have to take out 2 or 3. Beyond that I learned how to perform the dodge technique, some of the intricacies of forest and cave navigation, and how the day/night cycle effects various enemies. It was becoming all the more clear that I was still just a novice when dealing with this game. Even with my lack of experience I decided to march on and face Jason one more time. This was so far my most successful run as I not only obtained both the axe and torch but nearly killed Jason in the process. Unfortunately Mark suffered an accident in the caves and everything went downhill from there.

Finally having played the game, do I think it deserves a reputation as one of the worst NES titles? Hell no, I've played infinitely worse on that old darling. Beyond that there are few so few licensed games that offer so much depth and theme. Consider that out of a group of six playable characters only two are obvious heroes, just like one of the movies. The protection offered by Pamela's old sweater, the need to defeat Jason multilple-times. Even the game's pacing is such that the big goon is always causing trouble be it attacking you or another part of the camp. It really is like being in the final act of a movie, staying on the move and struggling to survive. Of course there are a few daffy additions like the zombies but even those aren't that important. Most of those small enemies exist solely to soften you up for encounters with Jay Jay. If nothing else I have to give the game some respect for the sheer amount of crazy ideas on display coupled with it's fairly accurate representation of the license.
When viewing the game from a player standpoint it loses some points. The vague goals, high-difficulty, and morbidly repetitive soundtrack are enough to dive anyone nuts. Yet I still find myself tempted to return armed with further knowledge. Maybe then I'll finally find Pamela's Shrine or figure out a use for Paul other than murder-sponge. That's saying something when you consider all the retro-games I've tried lately only to immediately tire of. There's something special to Friday the 13th, even if it's buried under plenty of issues. While I'd like to revisit the title, I'm not sure as I'll ever be good enough to win, so what then?

A very happy unlucky day to you all. Be sure to spend it the right way and indulge in Jason antics, be it film or game based. Around here we're most likely going to play my Part IV vinyl soundtrack and watch a mini-marethon of the TV show. Seeing as I'm recovering from some bizzaro springtime cold, I'd say I've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment