Thursday, February 1, 2018

My Life in Film Part 2: 1990-1994


Being unemployed for any stretch of time provides an opportunity to reflect on what you've done, what you're doing, and what you'll be doing in the future. This chance to examine one's life path has been front and center for me this year. I've been going back to revisit favorite things, working daily towards further success, and trying to map out some plan going forward. Something I've been revisiting a lot lately is art & entertainment. Reading through Calvin & Hobbes again or turning on a monster movie I've seen dozens of times for some Saturday comfort viewing. All of this has been helping to shape where I want to go from here but it's also reminded me to get my butt in gear and wrap up some features I began and never finished.
The my life in film concept, something I first came across on dvdactive, is the idea of going through every year you've been on this shiny blue globe and finding your absolute favorite movie from each one.
I've already covered my existence during the delightful 80's but now we're getting into the the decade that made up the majority of my youth, the frequently ugly, often times frustrating, but always unique 1990's. Can't say as it was may favorite time to be alive though it had a fair bit more personality than our current dumpster fire of a decade.

Seeing as I was still in the single digits age wise these years sort of blend together. Certain events stick out like becoming an uncle (got an early start on that role) but most of it is the general flow of life. Times spent playing Super-Nintendo, or scaring myself silly with spooky shows like Unsolved Mysteries, getting Jake, the second dog of my life and a great one at that. It's that stretch of time when most worries are either distant or arbitrary. As you may expect some of these films weren't even glimpsed by these eyes until later in life but they all hold a solid spot in my taste profile.
1990:

While the two movies tied for 1990 are remarkably different in style and tone, each tapped into lasting parts of my personality. On one end you have the drunk slacker and on the other the social outcast. I've had experience as both so these flicks relate to plenty of memories.
Tremors was pretty much engineered for me. Be it nature or nurture I always had an instinctive love for tales of dinky towns, better still when said town is under siege by gooey monsters. Add in a legendary pair of blue-collar bum heroes and it just gets better. That sort of hero has seemingly disappeared over the years but back then it was more than acceptable for the male lead to live in a truck, work odd jobs for a pittance, and store cold beers in a toilet.
I never would thought it possibe but Val & Earle foreshadowed all my time working odd and handyman jobs, be it lawn care, pluming, maintenance, even pest removal. These were all things I never wanted to do as a kid and yet I'm currently armed with the knowledge of how to fix dryers, clear out bed bugs, and even moving and redressing death beds. Yes a cold one goes down extra smooth after a day dealing with that crap.
Edward Scissorhands on the other hand (haha) was what I would probably call my favorite movie as a kid. Granted it's status has diminished over time thanks an ever expanding list of favorites but also the slightly toxic effect that other fans have had on it.
Being a home schooled kid in the early 90's, a time when it was largely reserved for whackadoos, made life in a fairly small town just a little more difficult. Being a kid who already liked odd things was enough of a stigma without others joking that you have to be kept inside. Of course this made Edward an instant classic. Watching another person struggle through the judgment everyone places on him could get very depressing but the honesty of the ending was what really pulled it all together. He never fully escapes his isolation but he's able to use his abilities and channel his experiences into something that makes the world a better place. Think of it as the truthful version of the “it gets better” movement.

1991: 
91 was very much a year of minor classics. There's a variety of flicks I've viewed countless times ranging from Sci-Fi with Star Trek VI, political thriller with Sneakers, mobster comedy Oscar, plus a Van-Damn double feature of Double Impact and Lionheart. The one that comes closest to being number one is probably The People Under the Stairs.
While I didn't know the horror nut I would end up becoming, young me always held a fascination for spooky stories and creatures. The stuff that usually stuck with me the most back then was the sort of backyard adventure story where someone faces off against the neighborhood monster, think The Burbs or Fright Night. Here that style is moved to a poor black neighborhood where a kid has to face off against the wretched assholes who own everything. In the process he finds they're even worse than everyone thinks.
Best I can figure, this probably crossed my radar a few years later thanks to Monstervision. During the classic Joe Bob Briggs run on the series, I made a point of camping out with whatever cheese snack was available, a practice that lead to my tradition of viewing horror flicks every Saturday for the past decade.

1992: 
Throughout my youth I steadily gained a love for both the Alien and Predator franchises by either catching them on the teli or getting a peak at a VHS when the parents weren't looking. While there's no exact memory for the first time I saw Alien 3, it always struck me as an excellent end cap for what was, at the time, my favorite film series.
I guess I never understood the freak out over how mean this movie is. Poor Ripley had already lost so much over the first two movies, the notion that she'd get some happy ending is a pleasant thought if terribly naive. So the notion of a final chapter where she's stripped of any reason to live other than eliminating these creatures is dramatically spot on.
You won't get some sob story about any deeper meaning found within the film. I simply found it to be an excellent ending for a great series. Of course now it's from the end of the franchise, which hopefully will result in new fans taking a more balanced opinion towards it.

1993: 
93 is another of those odd years where there's only a few entertaining flicks without a real obvious choice. Even so I have fostered a growing admiration for the Stallone and Snipes action comedy, Demotion Man. Part of that is my life long love of the action giants, few things can warm this cruddy little heart quite like explosions and one-liners. The other bit is how Demolition Man combines those traditional action elements with a unique fish out of water story.
Somewhere between Idiocracy and classic lonely outsider flicks like the aforementioned Edward Scissorhands in tone, this is a goofy look at a classic alpha male surrounded by a civilization of sissies. While many of the films predictions have failed to come true, who among us hasn't shaken our head in disbelief at the tide pod challenge, or moral outrage articles about comic book movie costumes?
It may not be a very deep film or even the best action flick but there's a solid core to Demolition Man. The ending message or finding a balance between clean peaceful living and outrageous human behavior is remarkably reasonable. And if the prediction of Taco Bell being the only restaurant comes to pass there may just be hope for us yet.

1994:
No compromise here, Ed Wood is at least in my top twenty, possibly my top ten. Few stories bring together so many of my interests and viewpoints together so seamlessly. It's a bonkers tale of a struggling artist, only he's the type of artist we all hope we aren't. Together with a band of oddballs he fumbles his way through life making some of the worst garbage the world has ever seen, and forever ensuring his legacy.
In a way it's something of a comforting fantasy. In his quest for artistic expression, Eddy not only befriends a gaggle of other losers but manages to become a legend through failure. As any form of creator it's sort of relieving to think you could achieve fame and admiration by fucking up.
The cast is stellar with Johnny Depp at his best, especially when bouncing off Martin Landau's take on Bela Lugosi. That pairing is at the heart of the picture since it's a dreamer meeting one of his idols only to find a broken old man instead.
There's quotable comedy, respectable drama, good production values. It's the sort of movie any filmmaker should be proud to make which makes it all the more fitting that it's about such a lousy director.


That's gonna have to do it for tonight kids. I've gotta take the smallest break from nostalgia to take care of paperwork and other adult responsibilities. Sometime I'd love to hear some of your own picks for favorite films from this time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment