Monday, November 27, 2017

Holiday Snacks: Hot Coca Oreo, Peppermint Twinkee, Mtn Dew Holiday Brew, Slated Caramel Pepsi.


The common practice round here whenever updates have been sparse is to blame whatever extraneous thing has been eating up my time. Lately, that's become difficult as for the life of me I can't quite figure out where November went! While most of this year has gone at a fairly steady pace, this month has just been melting away at breakneck pace. I feel lucky that I've accomplished a good deal of my recent to do list but even that still has eight or so items left to wrap up before December. I suppose it's a blessing then that there have been a few moments calm enough to allow tastes of the new holiday treats. Let's give em a look before I turn around to find out it's new years.


Another day, yet another Oreo flavor. This one comes as part of a marketing push since the company recently released their own hot coco mix. While I've yet to try the drink, I'm happy to report that these cookies mark another victory for the companies ever expending line of flavors.
Let's keep it simple; these smell like hot chocolate, they taste like it too. If you hadn't thought of it that's not much of a stretch from normal Oreo flavor. This is no wild trip into bizarre territory like Swedish Fish or Peeps. It's a fairly basic flavor executed very nicely.
Here's the odd part. Usually whenever I bring home a new Oreo variety, everyone in the house soon voices their opinion be it negative of positive. With these, hardly a word was said about them and yet they had vanished in less than 24 hours. I'd definitely call them a hit, just something of a quiet one.


A treat that has provided plenty of loud opinions are Peppermint Twinkees. And the common verdict around here is that these are gross, though I can't say I fully agree with that sentiment.
Right out of the package these are bright, cinnamon candy red. The sort of red that makes your mouth hurt just looking at it. It's such a cartoonish looking item it could have jumped straight out of some animated Christmas special. That effect if further amplified by the odd pinkish cream.
Flavor wise.....well..it is minty but not a refreshing mint. This is the kind of situation where the flavor naturally clashes with the type of foodstuff. Mint seems nice when it's coming out of a hard candy or maybe even some refreshing cucumber water, but a fatty snack cake is another matter entirely. Perhaps they're better frozen but I've yet to try such an experiment.
While I can't wholeheartedly recommend these Twinkees, I very much enjoyed my time with them. Sure they're a little gross. At the same time they're the sort of ridiculous novelty that makes life more fun.

Cheetos Snowlfakes isn't some new right wing insult, it's simply the winter variation on the popular Cheetos Bones. If you've had those before than there's nothing much to say here. You either enjoy cramming your mouth full of somewhat dry cheese puffs or you don't. I do, which earns these a pass.


Of course you need something to wash down all this festive food and what better way than crazy high sugar soda? That's right, Mtn Dew has come up with their own Holiday Brew which I'd heard nothing about before beholding a massive end cap of this cheery concoction. That sort of surprise is rare in this day and age when everything is spoiled or reported within mere seconds of release. Major props to Dew for sneaking one out.
Oddly enough after the fun new gamer fuel flavors, this yuletide variant is simply regular Dew mixed with Code Red, cause red and green equals Christmas, get it? Soda mathematics aside this is a solid brew. The experience reminds me of the old juice and sherbet punches my mother used to make for holiday gatherings. Sure it's not quite as foamy but that nostalgic taste is there. It makes one wonder what might happen if this were used to make one of those punches. The results would most likely be diabetes but man what a trip it would be.
I think this will easily be one of the highlights of the season for junk food lovers so run out, buy a case, and give your friends a sugar high.


The other new holiday soft drink is more of an eyebrow raiser. Salted Caramel is already one of those flavors that gets tossed into far too many items with greatly differing results. The idea of drinking a Pepsi flavored in this fashion seemed like a surefire way to ruin a good night, especially after the horrendous Pepsi Fire.
I made certain to make a group experience out of this one by parceling a bottle among shot glasses. The shock heard round the living room was that this honestly wasn't too bad. Imagine Buttershots and Pepsi without the alcoholic burn and this is the result.
While the flavor turned out to be ok, it still didn't seem like the sort of thing I'd chug down on my own until one night yielded sinus drainage and an irritated throat. This being the only fizzy drink on hand made it the only option to clear out the congestion, and wouldn't ya know it made for an enjoyable time. Not saying you should stock the basement with 12 packs but at the very least give Salted Caramel Pepsi a go.


Given that this was just a handful of this years snack offerings I'd say we're in for a spiffy December. Now the trick is to accomplish something, anything before we get there. Time permitting you'll be seeing another post here this week, I'm thinking something with ruffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment