Saturday, March 11, 2017

A Wind Storm, The Funko Shop, and Japanese Whiskey.


Fare warning dear read, I'm starting this article fully unaware of when I'll be able to post it. Why's that you ask? Just the other day my area was battered by a nifty wind storm that knocked out power for some, and cable & internet for many more. Thanks to the stretch of time without proper web excess this post has evolved from something with a focus to a general grab bag. Don't worry, I'll tie it up with a bow somehow.

The storm itself was a hell of a time. I had to help out at the shelter job that day which meant putting around on my moped with 70 MPH gusts of wind trying to blow me over. Truth be told it was kind of a blast. Every corner brought new surprises, the biggest being when I obeyed a stop sign to find the giant pine tree to my right leaning on some power lines. After taking off I couldn't stifle my mad laughter until loose leaves smacked me in the mouth. Later that night the aforementioned tree finally crashed as you can see in the above photo.

The storm was actually something of a surprise. Granted, March usually brings plenty of wind but I can't recall a straight out wind storm happening here since maybe the 90's. Usually this sort of thing comes equipped with rain or late season snow but not this time. Still; it's the sort of event that cements the notion that Winter is on the way out.
Along with the season change is something of a personal phenomenon. Every March, I have just an unshakable urge to spend money. It might just seems like some sort of spoiled spending spree to some of you out there, but for once I think I understand why I get this way every Match. Before we get there let's take a peek at how I've been overdoing it this year.

Other than unboxings, I rarely speak on my collectibles. When something truly wonderful comes around however, you gotta share the good word. The good word in this case is the Funko Shop, a direct source from Funko for a variety of limited run figures with passable prices and flat rate shipping. That shipping method can be a pain for someone who only wants one item but it sure makes it easy to add those little extra temptations as well. I mean you're paying the same for shipping anyway, why not get the most out of it? That's the reasoning of a man with more toys than cash.
Still it is quality shipping. Funko Shop orders have better tracking than the companies subscription boxes. There's alerts for when it ships, out for delivery, and at the door. As if that wasn't good the interior packaging is aces. Not only are there several sheets of top notch packing bubbles but each item is also housed in it's own factory source box. For the sake of your karma, please recycle some of this shit.

So what was so important that it made me splurge not just once but twice during the past few months? I'm getting to that, but let's check out the little additions first On the left we have the mighty maiden, She-Ra. I'm not the biggest Master of the Universe fan out there but no way was I gonna let this girl slip by and leave my Hordak Pop all lonely.
Also from the first order is the Holiday Batman Dorbz. What's to say really. It's Batman....in holiday colors......it's festive Alright?
Then we have Wally Gator. Call this one of those hazy childhood memories but there was a period when for whatever reason I was positively obsessed with Wally Gator cartoons. A local joint called the Movie Market had VHS tapes and I'd consume them much to the dismay of my siblings. The obsession didn't last long but I've still got a little of that love for this generally lame character.

The big reason for my orders though were these two beauties. Cereal Monster Dorbz Ridez. I'd previously missed the Fruit Brute and Count Chocula entries in this line but nothing save for the destruction of planet Earth would keep me from obtaining Yummy Mummy and Frankenberry. Just look at these beauties! Everything from packaging, coloration, it all serves as a tribute to some of the finest mascots for some of the best cereals ever produced. All the cereal monsters are practically saints in my view. Colorful embodiments of the sheer joys of horror and sweetened food. While I am a bigger fan of Yummy Mummy's foodstuffs, I can't deny Frank has the better whip.

Not content to merely indulge myself with nifty toys, I also headed out to the big-ish city today before facing another extended work sequence. Target worked me over with their buy two get one free video games deal which resulted in me bringing home Poochy Yoshi's Woolly World, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Tales of Berseria. Those three would be more than enough gaming for quite some time, which means I'm in trouble since I also received my preordered copy of Nier: Automata. Pray for me folks.

There was still one final indulgence to this week, one I wasn't sure I'd be able to nab. Recently I played through Yakuza 0. Truly one hell of a game, and one that's full of Japanese cultural information. One point of interest for me were the bars containing all the primary Japanese whiskeys. The game ended up giving me a thirst for both knowledge and booze so I went in search and behold the result; Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky. It cost me a mint but god was it ever worth it. This stuff is beautiful. Simply smelling it makes you feel good. It's harsh yet smooth. Think of it like having a caramel cigar out out in your mouth. I'm drinking it right this minute which may help to explain the absolutely haphazard nature of this post.

So yes, like many a March before it, this one has involved selfish splurging yet I finally understand the reason why, which is the only thing keeping me from hanging my head in shame. Winter's almost over, the doldrums of cold nights are coming to an end. Buying all this crap is something of a revitalization. It's a reward for making it through the lackluster early months. Having come to terms with that I advise you all to go out and spoil yourself if you have the means. Maybe get yourself a nifty little figurine or some slightly better hooch.


Well, I'd say I've prattled on enough for now. It's been an odd week around here and I've got a nasty clump of work starting in just a couple of hours. I'll try to get a more sensible post around for you all in between shifts. Until then you can confess to any recent splurges of your own in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment